- Be sure to drink a sufficient amount of water the day of a massage. Do Not overdue it. It is important to stay hydrated, however it is a myth that you need to drink extra water before or after a massage. Listen to your body. Drink when you’re thirsty. **
- Avoid alcohol the day of a massage. Your last cup of coffee before a massage should be at least two hours before.
- A hot shower before a massage will help relax the muscles.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing. Anma can be performed over clothing. If you prefer clothing optional, I recommend a comfortable pair of shorts or boxers. Some of the stretches, if needed, negate any benefits of appropriate draping.
- Do not drive long distances immediately after an anma massage. Sit and have some tea before beginning any activity that requires focus or is strenuous.
- Take at least 15 minutes after the massage to allow yourself to “get back into your body.” This can be an intense experience for some. Prepare to spend 2 hours at my studio for initial consultation and post debrief and post-massage ergonomic lessons to extend the benefits of the massage.
- Eat well and always take care of yourself. Enjoy your Anma massage.
Precautions to Receiving Anma
Anma will not be applied in the following situations:
- Fever or fainting spells
- Contagious illness
- Recent injury or surgery
- Skin infections
- No alcohol or pain mediation
- Cancer or Leukemia (must have explicit written acknowledgement from your physician)